Su. Sha. 1
Garbh Dharana depends on 4 factors :
- Ritu means right time (i.e. age of both partners as well as the time of intercourse which should take place around the time of ovulation).
- Kshetra means the site (the uterus & woman herself) should be healthy.
- Ambu means the nutrition of Bija as well as Garbha after conception.
- Bija means the gametes-the ovum & the sperm.
If these things are in proper manner,then only Garbhadhan (Conception) can occur & retains inside the uterus for nine months.
According to Ayurveda, conception takes place due to healthy sperm, healthy ovum, and a healthy uterus in efficient women. For both men and women, reproductive health depends on the health of the Shukra Dhatu, or reproductive tissue.
In women the Shukra Dhatu produces the ovum as part of the monthly cycle, and in men the sperm and semen which gets ejacuated due to sexual stimulation.
The Shukra Dhatu itself is created as part of a long chain of metabolic transformations, starting with the digestion of food and including the transformation of food to nutrient fluid, blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone marrow and finally, to Shukra Dhatu. Healthy Shukra Dhatu, then, according to Ayurveda, depends on the health of all the other tissues in the body. Clearly any unfavorable change or defect in above factors causes improper production and fundamental reproductive complaints.
Causes of Infertility According to Ayurveda
Nutrition of Shukra Dhatu
- Mental disturbances: diseases like anxiety, depression and insomnia ( Stress induced hormonal changes like Adrenal fatigue etc)
- Wrong dietary habits: Eating excessive spicy, salty and hot food increase Pitta and destroys, weakens and restricts the formation of Shukra Dhatu (PreMature production or Failure of production like Oligospermea, Anovulation)
- Overindulgence in sexual activities leads to Shukra Kshaya. It may lead to Klaibya (Impotency).
- Veeryaavarodha : By controlling sexual urges for longer duration leads to . . . .V Veeryaavarodha (Obstruction in tissues and channels) and this leads to decreased libido in both men & women.
- Infection or Trauma : Infertility can also arise when the reproductive tissue is damaged by infection or trauma.
- Genetic causes : Some acquire the impotency by birth.
General Guidelines for treatment
- Being loving and loved is the best tonic for fertility
- Determine the Constitution of both the partners
- Clear any obstructions or blockages
- Tonify any weaknesses
- Ensure that the digestive fire is strong
- Ensure that the nervous system is relaxed
Ayurvedic Chikitsa (Treatment)
Ayurveda emphasis on proper Ritu(Yogya kal) as well as Ambu( nutrition) & health of Kshetra(Uterus and the woman herself) & Bija (Ovum &Sperm). Any alteration can cause infertility & this is treated according to the cause. Chikitsa (Treatment) include certain steps :
1. Bija-shuddhi & Sharir-Shuddhi
Proper Purification of Parent’s ovum and sperm, ultimately offering the Healthy and Pure Pregnancy and to minimize heridetory complaints
For this purpose Panchakarma (the purification therapies) are impimented, which is actually Shodhan Chikitsa. We can help you get your body ready for a healthy baby by Sharir-Shuddhi & Bija-shuddhi through Panchakarma & Uttarbasti.
- Vaman (Medicated Emesis)
- Virechana (Medicated Purgation)
- Basti (Medicated Enema)
- ShiroDhara (Oil Stream On Head) etc.
- UttarBasti(specific oil based medicine or decoction is administered by per vaginal)
Ayurvedic medicines tonify any weaknesses & ensure that the digestive fire is strong. It not only helps for conception, but also helps in fetal well being throughout the pregnancy.
- Gynecological treatments: for painful menstrual cycles, uterine fibroids, cervicitis, etc.
- Adolescents’ Reproductive & Sexual Health Counseling:
- Medication and supplements for Fetal Growth: Medication and supplements for foetal growth retardation and Measures for the proper fixation and nourishment of the foetus to avoid habitual Abortions.
- Monthaly Medications and Treatments: to be given as Monthly Regimes from the Period of Conception to the Delivery to Avoid the Complications of the Pregnancy, Proper Nourishment and to make the Labor easy. This Monthly Regimes allows enhancement of the Spiritual, Emotional, Physical and Psychological Growth
- Postnatal care : to regain the Health and Beauty of the Mother, to ensure the purity and quality of the Breast Milk and specialized regime for the Depression attacks followed due to Vata Imbalance.
Diet & lifestyle advice :
Proper diet & lifestyle to be followed for conception is advised. Besides this the things to be followed to increase chances of conception are also advised.
Yoga And Pranayama